|Posted by strawberryfingernails on November 2, 2009 at 3:10 PM|
It was recently the birthday of my dear friend Emma Dahling--though it is not her actual date of birth, she has always wanted to have a Halloween birthday, and this year she had that chance. I have not shown them to you, but I draw a series of Dead Girls, all who have a basic story-- their lover murdered them, their corpse murdered/will murder him in return. I have drawn Girls who have been hung, stabbed, chopped to pieces, and so forth, and Emma Dahling requested one of my drawings for her Halloween Birthday. I had originally planned to do just that, until the idea hit me to make a doll of one of my Dead Girls. This particular doll is not based off of a picture, and I don't think I will ever do any girl both as a drawing and a doll, because they morph into who they are so differently. This particular doll is named Giselle.
Her head, button eyes, neck and shoulders, arm, bone arm, acid bottle and torso are all made entirely of uncolored polymer clay (Sculpey), with the exception of the torso which has some tin foil filler in the middle. The head, neck and shoulders and torso were all baked on separate bamboo skewers and eventually transferred to the head's skewer after baking, some painting, and glossing. The only paint I used was black on the button eyes and the acid bottle, cream on the acid bottle's label, and two different reds for the blood and her lips. With the exception of the blood, all painting was done before I glossed them (I used a special gloss by Sculpey for polymer clay-- satin finish for Giselle and gloss finish for the bottle and button eyes).
I actually sewed her skirt and corset top out of a thin probably polyester satin and hot glued it to the body. Her arms were attached to her neck and shoulders with liquid nails glue, and the acid bottle was attached to her hand with superglue. Her cape is black velvet, and I hot glued a stretchy black lace to the dress's neckline and sewed it to the cape's border. I also used a black opalescent rhinestone on the cloak (although it was self adhesive, I used hot glue anyway) and a purple rhinestone on the top hat. The hat is cardstock with black satin, black satin ribbon, and a black feather of some sort. Her hair is a special, fuzzy-lumpy yarn from Michael's.
Here are some pics of the box and certificate I made for her:
There are plenty more pics of her in my case files, so go take a look if you want!
Telehugs and Telesmooches,